Sunday 23 January 2011

My New York debut

Many come to New York with a pipe dream. It's fabulous to have dreams if we don't get carried away with the fantasy and focus on our own strengths and passions to make them come true.

A few months ago I realised one of my own on the upper west side of Manhattan: I played guitar and sang in public for the first time in my life. When I first started to sing a few years ago it was a mystery to me what my voice would sound like, especially because my speaking voice is soft-spoken. 

At the end of my performance of a Bruce Springsteen and a U2 song, complete strangers clapped and came up to tell me how they had enjoyed my "soothing" and "rich" singing and playing. I then repeated the feat at a house party last night where again - people I did not know - were hanging on each word I sang.

I am looking forward to developing my singing and playing further and discovering other parts of me that I only dreamed existed but which have become real in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment